A simple compound microscope can help identify pollen, mites and infections. Other applications are viewing the basic anatomy of the honey bee and for the more advanced, artificial insemination.
Taking package bee orders now! Package Bees
Beekeeping in Maine
I have been beekeeping since the 70's and through that time have had many great learning experiences.
Beekeeping is something I truly enjoy so when I decided to make a web site my goal was share some of my knowledge. I hope you find the pages on this site useful. Beekeeping has become a popular hobby in my area as with all over the county.
- Kill phoretic Varroa mites with Oxalic Acid Vapor FMI
- If you see messy hives check for Nosema - Microscopy class
- Use mouse guards
- Lift hives to check weight and use candy boards if needed
- Use an inexpensive stethoscope to listen to the bees without disturbing them
- Join a bee club, read books and subscribe to a bee magazine - American Bee Journal or Bee Culture
Will this season be your first with bees? Click the picture for a PowerPoint Presentation by Jim Tew
Raw Honey available
Winner of the 2012 Eastern Apiculture Society Best in Show Comb Honey Award
email@example.com or 207-329-9934